Saturday, February 27, 2010

Thug Chicks

I don't know why, but I think these chicks just look like a bad ass posse. Maybe it is just me, but I wouldn't want to mess with them. There are like 60 of them there visible in the picture. The outer portion of an internal brooder box is pictured on the left. The idea was that if there was a draft the chicks would have a secondary structure to go inside. I think it turned out to be excessive, but does allow the whole flock to have their living space sectioned. I'd put money that that alone can help with the chick stress. It'd be like if I fart in one room, the you could simply walk into say, the kitchen! to get a knife....I tend to linger.

Anyways the chicks are fine. We had a couple more than I expected die within the first week. (5 out of 208). I noticed one had curled over toes so tossed them some rabbit liver for the deficiency. Not sure if it was the Glycogen or the Riboflavin, but they spunked up. Fun watching little chicks play tug-a-war with little pieces of liver. (liver is high in Riboflavin which is a common deficiency in chicks. So beside a little patte our chickens do not get any other meat.)

I made the brooder a little too tight, so made some adjustments today to help it air out better. I am probably being too cautious with keeping them warm, and should probably open the brooder up to air a little more.


Puzzle for the week. Take 7 words that rhyme with blue, take the first two letters of each of those words, rearrange them to spell a car company. The remaining letters will spell a type of fight. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment