Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I hear the level bee

Bee update: So this year I bought in 4 packages of bees, and two extra queens. I ended up giving one extra queen to my grandmother. We split his hive yesterday. I ended up having to split one of my packages to accommodate the extra queen. She was supposed to be used in a split I made from my hive, but we ended up doing a queenless split.

So now there are 7 hives over at my place. Two of them were supposed to be up at CSC. Unfortunately never fully got permission for the cows. (oh the cows in the previous post were top bar hives).

Anyways, I have never emptied a package before. So that was interesting- easy, but interesting. I was nervous the next morning because each hive still looked disorganized, but by the afternoon they were flying in and out of the hives, and at night had all formed nice clusters. Gonna remove queens tomorrow.

Pointless post.

No comments:

Post a Comment