Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons

I told my grandfather about the perfect farm I found in VT (I could have afforded it, and it is a 70+ acre field). Anyways, he then mentioned that he walked my great grandmother's field the other day. The property was 250 acres, Colonial and barn. It was sold as an estate a few years ago after my ggmothers passing. It was of course logged, and plans were made for a 20+ lot subdivision. And I have been wondering to what purpose?

The property is supposed to be auctioned off in the not too distant future. After being completely logged- the economy tanked and the subdivision never happened. So now the current owner is in foreclosure- the back field was used as a landing. My grandfather said it was gravelled, and torn up. Imagine running your hands through the soil of a field that took thousands of years to slowly grow and instantly its gone. There is a wide gravel road running down the center of the main field, and every mature tree has been cut. The beautiful 18th century colonial is in disrepair and unfortunately degraded from neglect over the last few years, and for what? So that someone could strip cut all the trees and still end up in foreclosure? So those trees grew for the last 80-150 years so that someone could be broke after cutting them all down? So a trucker could have work for a winter driving back and forth to Canada hauling logs just to take advantage of an exchange rate difference? So that another farm can disappear in a withering landscape? So many times I am wondering who is left the winner as we scramble around in our hurried dashes; driving up route 11 to be late for washing dishes or for someone else to get up each day for work because they are telling themselves they only have 8 more years before retirement.

Retire now. Its just another suburb- a driveway for the missing trees.

Have measured out my life in coffee spoons

No comments:

Post a Comment