Sunday, June 14, 2009

Greener and Wetterest Pastures

The cows haven't calved yet. I check them morning and night, but alas they do not look anymore ready than when we picked them up, and we thought they were ready to pop then! They'll come when ready.
We picked them up in New Durham. My grandfather worked for the DES for about 30 years fixing and building dams. He knew where the farm was once the guy started describing it. And it is a pretty farm! An old, beautiful, cape that is tucked away comfortably from the main route. You see the sap house first, which looks partially abandoned amidst growing saplings. Then you approach an uncut hayfield, pull into a dirt drive, and it opens up unto sheep chewed pastures, and the farm. Oh it was so beautiful. The first couple pastures were the size of our new place.

Anyways, the cows were beautiful; all Jerseys on various stages of heiferhood, pregnancy and lactation. My grandparents bought the best one. She is a very large Jersey. I grabbed another. She looks like she has week front quarters, but she is a first calf heifer and quite difficult to tell. We'll see. Lovely girls. We are still waiting though to see the calves. They might be crossed with a Pinzgaurer bull. I love the cows. Hopefully can get some critters over at our place. I would if we had the extra cash to buy a couple and graze them on the back pasture; 3 acres of poor pasture that just needs a little rotational grazing.

And this brings us to the greener pastures. The first place we wanted to buy is a better farm- 55 acres, 30 of which are in open field, all bottom land, 4 barns, sugar maples, yada yada yada. But everything can look greener upon a wishful glance. Just as Marianne and I will aw at another beautiful house, or take a second look at a pretty girl/guy, be envious of a larger tractor etc. This weekend I realized how beautiful of a place we have. I sat out at the back pasture enjoying the midmorning sun staring at rare drops of water from strawberry flowers just enjoying it. Marianne and I also talked about the finances and how lucky we were to get the loan for the property. Later I was checking out the chickens and where I wanted to move them next, and realized how much the grass had grown and greened up where they were two weeks previous. I forgot how quickly you can improve an area with the hens. So here it is: our place, our greener pasture- and very very happy with it.

On that note I am heading outside to get a couple things done before dinner.
Godbless
Zac

No comments:

Post a Comment