Saturday, July 18, 2009

Weeks end Begin

I have a petition here at the house if everyone wouldn't mind coming by to sign. We are requesting that the townships of Andover and Salisbury be combined into a joint union of: Seattle, NH. The official town mascot would be the raindrop. An open hunting season on mud puddles will be posted from April through until August 15th. I could go on, but it is just a few more showers coming through...We got half the haying done last week. We cut one day, then tedded, raked and baled the next day: 191 bales. The hay looks very good, but it is quite late. It was fun doing this with my grandfather. In the past when we hayed my great grandmother's field my brother and I would just load the truck. This time I got to ted and rake. My grandfather wasn't very impressed with my tractor: it steers like a tank, and puts a bit coming up a hill. I like it though- starts every time.
This last week was pretty tough. The weekend before was overwhelming, and I felt it this week missing two days of work (one sick, one scheduled off) so my boss was nice enough to let another worker take half of my summer shift. Now I get to go in to work at 4:o0 (or 5:30pm) Should allow me to relax a bit, tidy up the animals, and get some much needed work done.
In short this week: must get a large batch of chickens out of the brooder. The rainy weather (and threats of storms) has prevented this. I also need to move the piglets. The mom looks too drawn down. So moving animals is it for a couple days. Otherwise focusing on the CSA, milking, and building application.

50 turkeys came in- we got them late this year in hopes of having smaller turkeys for thanksgiving- taking orders now!

Haying. Not very photogenic.
Very Photogenic.
Grandpa raking in background, foreground shell beans, cabbage, tomatoes and onions.
Gram cleaning out the milk machine. MMMM milk.

Summer
As a child was
Endless
Weeks
Meant nothing but a
Word
Printed on the side of a
plastic milk jug
Whose top might be cut
open
to hold shiners
when we went fishing

No comments:

Post a Comment