Sunday, November 22, 2009

Fresh + Turkeys

I had a most fantastic day-
But prior to that I want to mention the movie Fresh, which Linda Howe put on last night in New London. I tend to be out of the loop on documentaries such as Fresh, King Corn, Food Inc. My reading tends to be other than farming/environmental genres, and hear about different books through conversations where I often think, "Darn. I need to read that." Well, the short of it- it was great to see the film and receive some reinforcement-post growing season- of many of the things we do.

Now- Onto the things we do!

Slaughter! Yum! Above is a landscapish view of what went on today. Mark, Jack and Pam, Michael and Nicki, Zac and Marianne, Gram, Casey- who could not find anything to do on their own, spent a wonderfully beautiful day together. They, without precept, arrived at Raccoon Hill Road, where someone sparked up the idea of slaughtering the turkeys. Everyone agreed, and five hours later they were done with 50 birds- lasagna and rice pudding was so well deserved afterwards.

Actually a bit of planning went into today, and it went off very well, with few hitches. On conventional standards were were slow- 10 birds an hour. However, last year it took us 2 days to do 28 birds without the new plucker. Pin feathers were still aplenty, but far reduced compared to last year.

O no. It is happenning. I was quite excited about this post, and had many ideas for it, but my energy was just drawn out. Sleep. Working on house tomorrow. Come to pie night Friday.
Zac

1 comment:

  1. Zac was right . . . this was an absolutely wonderful day spent with family and old and new friends. Joe and Brett, we missed you . . . sorry you were sick :(.

    By the way my dear, you forgot to mention your Grandfather . . . Even though he was not able to physically partake in the activities, he did walk around and provide some of us instructions on how to better complete our tasks. You and I both know, it was difficult for him not to be in the thrust of the activity.

    Even though we accomplished our goal of preparing the 50 turkeys for others to enjoy fresh turkey on Thanksgiving day, I believe the best part of the day was being able to clean up and let you and Gram attend to today's regular activities.

    Thanks for finally sending me the link!

    ReplyDelete