Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Relax, ok, but..

This posting has been put off with good intentions. Grandpa was hurt as a lot of you know on Friday of last week. He is doing well, and will be back home shortly. That is all I really want to say about that. As a reminder to that- farm readers, and I am completely guilty of it too: Disengage your pto if you're going to work on the equipment. He got caught up in the line drive of the manure spreader, and was damn lucky. The picture below shows his jacket, denim shirt and tshirt wrapped around the drive. So wear your chainsaw chaps, disengage before dismounting the tractor, and fix the manual brake on your IH tractor....zac...


The rest of the basement will/is being done without grandpa which is a shame. It has been a blast of fun to do it with him. This photo is a floor level view of the basement sofar. 2 complete walls.
Which I think is great considering it looked like this a few weeks ago!
This photo is from last week. The foremost wall now has 5 courses. Hopefully going to knock out 4 tomorrow before work. Then I will be able to do the windows the next day. Bulk head needs 5 more blocks to be finished. Compound, pour the floor, backfill, sill, joices, deck, then head down to the mill and start walls.
Reading: Mostly Lorca and Octavio Paz lately. S. has not been able to meet up for Spanish lessons, so my own course has been to play with short verses. Some fun new words: estanque (from memory the spelling) pond, desnudez, nudity, cortinas, curtains, o....I forget the word for looming, that was neat. They have been nice for this fall. I enjoyed a wonderful wooded walk, and was able to recite Wild Swans of Coole admidst the colors of the trees, but October is gone, and November pleasantly here with warmer weather than last year.

I am picking up a cute little heifer calf this Sunday. Little pricier than my normal calf purchases, but still heifers are hard(er) to come by, and I would like another critter for the extra milk here and there. I decided Antoinette as her name if she is unnamed. Either that or I will lock her in an attic and call her Bertha. Hope she doesn't burn me out of house!

No comments:

Post a Comment