Sunday, May 24, 2009

Check Valve And Asparagus

Marianne and I planted the asparagus yesterday. I bought 2 bundles just to have a foot in the door policy with the vegetable. I love it, and wanted to get started with a small bed right away. In the Small Farmer's Journal by LynnMiller- a horse farmer said that he would flop a furrow, and then plant his potatoes tight in that furrow, and then flop the next furrow right over to cover the potatoes. He went on until all the potatoes were planted, and then harrowed right over.

My grandfather and I thought it was a wonderful idea. So we retrofitted the idea for asparagus. It was a little late to plant, but it went quick, and planted very deep. I am going to go over the top with the tilled to cut the surface a little tomorrow, and then toss on a load of composted manure.

Today we got water over at the place. Actually, I am now getting pretty sleepy so the post is going to end, but lets say finally! and woohoo! It will be very nice to get water to the tomatoes in the hoop house.
Zac

No comments:

Post a Comment