Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Chicken Excavation

Well, we did not excavate with chickens nor did we excavate chickens, but we did have a day in which both chickens were a focus and excavation was a focus.

Chris Bentley is our local Salisbury Construction guru and came over with a mini-excavator to do some much needed site work, and to quickly dig a test pit for the septic for the future house. I missed out on taking any action photos, but the end product is very nice. A farmer neighbor told me a previous owner used to rent equipment, have drinking parties, and then play around with the equipment- I wasn't very excited to hear about this, and quite honestly wondering what side of the sperm bank his little originator woke up on....Anyways, Chris came over and took care of the mess that guy created.

So Chris came over and fixed up the mini little hills, and depressions the guy created. In between we found some buried metal. Nothing of concern, but some oddities like a finish mower and a furnace arch. I was amazed at that little excavator. It had a rubber track. It did not tear up the field nor create any ruts. Very happy with that "low impact" approach. Now the area around the barn is useable again. This is HUGE since I wanted to start planning some of the greenhouse locations and perennials.

The other big thing of the day was the chickens. They kept getting out which infuriated me. So I left and did some errands in New London. When I went back they were out of layer mash. I poured some inside their portable pen, and my ladies came running back. Then spent 20 minutes laying in the new pasture with them.
I am quite sleepy, and do have to drive to go pick my dad up at the airport.
Zac

2 comments:

  1. "I am quite sleepy, and do have to drive to go pick my dad up at the airport"
    uuuh, not a good combination, zac-o.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea.....I showed up half an hour late- pulled over at the rest stop-nodded off to AC/DC woke up to some whining boy/rock band.

    ReplyDelete