Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ode To the Ugly-Old Tractor



You are ugly,
No doubt from the faded paint,
That was once called international red,
And now that is pocked with surface rust,
And areas where I began to reprime you,
But left before we were finished.
I found a more engaging chore elsewhere.
You've been rewelded,
Several times and in many places,
So that now the arms on your three point hitch,
Do not lower as far as I would like when I use my tiller.
You putter because your carburetor needs tinkering,
But I am not skilled enough to let you breath properly,
So in fourth gear and high range,
You put put up a hill,
But still you run a log splitter,
And start nearly every time I need you.
Your back differentials lock,
Which has saved both of us,
Several times- even yesterday.
You're older than me,
You're older than my mother-
I only wish you had a bucket,
Because there are still some rocks
In that field.

Well, thanks for reading the impromptu Ode to the Old-Ugly Tractor. I like my little tractor. It gets the job done, and needs little tinkering in between. It is tough too. I need to tinker with the hydraulics at some point this year, and get some help with the carburetor. Other than that she runs beautifully- starts- stops, and pulls whatever in between.

Plus, it was simply built, which helps with my limited mechanical experience. On top of that we just set aside money last year to pay for it, and the payment didn't break our back- $1500. I didn't think that was bad considering it doesn't have any major issues. Ugly though isn't it? I think I grabbed the best of its charm in the evening sunlight against the old house. Oh yea- International Harvester- supposed to originally be a B257 Diesel- rebuilt to a 354 I think gas job.
Zac

2 comments: