Sunday, May 3, 2009

A view of the Weekend

I had a most lovely and pretty productive weekend. Marianne and I spent most of it together including sleeping over the new farm for a night where her perfected art of stealing the blankets are no longer cute. I plowed up about half of what I wanted to get done. My grandfather gave me a 'crash course for dummies who have been hanging around with him for a few years but for some odd reason didn't notice things' course on plowing. I ended up doing a great job, but he showed up and showed me how to do a great job and faster. I looove my grandfather.
The aim is to have half the tilled area into cover crop this year. We're going to try hairy vetch, oats and peas mix, and then till it later.
I also got to try out my new chainsaw. The first day Marianne and I were over there we were cutting down saplings that had started to take over part of the field. We were using bow saws and clippers and suddenly I had a "what the hell are you doing you own a chainsaw" moment. I have those moments often. Like every time I try cutting into a steak that is overcooked...

We also moved our ladies over to the new farm. This was the second time we had to crate them up and put them on the truck. I am sure all their squaeking meant they were sick of it and better be the last. So Saturday night ended at around 9:40 placing the last of the hens inside the portable pen at the new farm before we tucked off to sleep.

Off the farm not much is happening. I've been out straight except for the mini picnic/BBQ on Friday. I have May 6th to June 7th off from work, and hoping to take advantage of that as fully as possible. I was hoping to be working on the house between then, but we really have to think out whether we'll be converting that barn or building a house. Any ideas?

Zac

No comments:

Post a Comment