Friday, May 22, 2009

Stuff Stuff...Hot


Well, I found out where the poison ivy that maliciously infected my hands and forearm for the last weekish is located. There was a very good looking hickory on the roadside of our property that had a tight growing vine proceeding up the trunk of the tree. I just assumed that it was either Bitter Sweet or some nasty parasitic plant whose fate was destined to be cut apart. I grabbed the thick vine, and cut away with my pocket knife till I could pull it away from the tree. Two days later my fingers swelled up from poison ivy. Today I noticed some large poison ivy vines on the wall and went "aha! There it is."

Taking the rest of the day off. Cousin's bday is today in Goffstown, and making a dual purpose trip to pick up a shallow well pump in New Boston. Tired, and hott from the day, so thus the early post.

I found Marianne's camera which is a good marital move. I had safely placed it on a shelf in the barn, but could not until today find which shelf in which barn I had placed it. So I would like to finish this post with pictures, captions, and a goodbye!



Lights in the barn. Very nice. Less tripping at night.
Hens on even newer pasture. Poultry netting working even better than expected. Their mobile cover is now working well. I put up two wooden purlins (not shown) which stiffened the structure right up. The whole thing is very light, and can be pulled with ease by one person. I made the mistake of not putting the chicken water and feed underneath it. We are down about 20 eggs a day right now, and I think better location of the nests, water and feed to their midday rest areas would improve our egg production. Just a hunch. So I moved a water bucket over to the cover, and will condense everything tomorrow.
Almost 16 days old and already in a halfway house. This is the name of our second stage housing for the broiler chicks. They get moved from the brooder to the half way house. This allows them to get outside, and use their wings and legs, and become introduced with pasture while still keeping the ability to go in out of weather.
First attempt at a hoop house for tomoatoes. Not bad. Couple changes needed, but really should work well. Will finish ends and sides tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment