Saturday, May 30, 2009

My Truest Love


Tomorrow I am taking a trailer down to the butcher and getting rid of two sows. I partially decided to downsize on the pigs. I am sad to do this, but quite frankly do not see an alternative with the work load we have. I meant to take my two white pigs, but the black one hopped in the trailer...So I shut the door and went up for dinner. I became the saddest, most irritable grouch knowing my beautiful, big girl (Big Momma) was locked in for the butcher. About an hour later the door was opened, and I let both pigs out. She is going to stay on the farm. I love her too much. She is such a lovely pig. She doesn't test the fence line, she is gentle even when I grab a piglet. She lets me pet her belly, and lay my body against hers.

So I devised an idea for quick construction for a summer pen at the new place. I am going to try rotating Big Momma, Priscilla, Berta and the new piglets on pasture using a central house, with rotation of paddocks around the fixed pen. I'll run an irrigation line out to them for water, and electric fence them in. For added security I will double line with sheep fencing.

Big Momma rooted the foundation of a small shed before. So I was tentative to build much for them. I think- not sure but think I have an idea that will work. I am going to stack some hay bales on their sides and drive rebar down through them into the ground so that they are fixed in place. Then I will use the rebar that is exposed to use as a base to bend plastic conduit over. In this way I will (hopefully) have a semi-pig proof hoop house for my ladies.

As for the pasture I am not sure. I have had a lot of luck rotating pigs on pasture before. The key is to move them quickly. I think the best bet for this summer is to realize that I am busy, and that some of it will become sacrifice ground. I will just plan on having the area become a small garden the following year.

Above is a picture of Big Momma as a piglet. My little sweetheart love. =)
-Guy who fell in love with a pig.

No comments:

Post a Comment